doc's dog day

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"A"s and it's relevence

The state of education is such a scam nowadays, every students seems to be out scoring each other in terms of the numbers of 'A's that they can score. In the recently concluded SPM examinations the numbers of As are like a huge, more than those scoring Cs and passes, is this even normal? I wonder if having a string of As actually makes a difference in their future. All this are pretty ludicrous especially when more and more substandard graduates are jobless. It goes to speak volumes with the state of education in our country.

There were a 50% increase in the students that obtains As in either one or more subject! I remembered during my time as a student, scoring a distinction is like something to be really proud off, the number of top scorers from each state is perhaps a few, not as many as hundreds of them; During my time SPM; or "O" Levels a student can opt to sit for a maximum of 9 subjects and thus a limit of A's will be confined to 9. This year it has become a laughing stock, having students who scores 15 A1s! Who can manage 15 subjects? I reckon either I am outdated or the education system is NUTS! I reckon it's the latter.

But does securing 15As have any bearing in what they will become in time? Does it mean that those securing so many As are going to be successful in life? I reckon this puts up more questions than answers. I can bet with you that it doesn't matter. Why? I can tell u frankly I wasn't one of the top students whilst I was in secondary school. I had a more laid back attitute, bothering on the "tidak apa" side. For my SPM, I think I had only 5 As or something like that. Not to brag about anything, but heck if u ask me, I cannot remember anything that I've learn or studied for the stupid exam that was SPM. It doesn't prepare me for my university days and to the contrary I find our educational system flawed to say the very least. Perhaps instead of merely striving for grades don't you think it's time to exhort students to think for themselves? Take it from an average student, relax and enjoy yourselves in secondary school, the real deal begins in uni!

2 Comments:

  • Guess nowadays the standard of A's has been pull down so that more bumi's can get thru.But for those with many many A's,can't imagine how?just study,study...,no sports,music,fun?I would lough when I remember my college Dean ever said:'No Smoking,No Drinking,Why Living."Hahaha. So many degree holders can't find a job now,and so many of them promoting credit card in the shopping complexes.....Good luck to those with many many A's

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2006 8:17 AM  

  • I actually want to tembak more, but what the heck, everyone knows about the state of education in our country, which goes to say a lot of our next batch of "leaders", sigh~!***

    By Blogger mercuri2000, at March 17, 2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home