doc's dog day

Friday, February 24, 2006

Whither Materialistic?

Another weekend and another day of rest tomorrow, I wonder if TGIF is actually such a good thing? Sure I will have some deserved rest, but it also means that I will have one less day to cover my overheads. I was chatting with a new found friend over the net and I was taken aback that he mentioned I sounded materialistic like everyone else from my few latter postings in my blog. I might be somewhat since being labelled a failure rather than a success. The fact is that Malaysians as a whole define success with material possessions and being one of them I have to comform to this defination for fear of being labelled "outcast". As in generally accepted terms, a person who doesn't comform is abnormal, and hence a psychotic.

From the perspective of some, I might as well be through and through a materialistic bugger. In effect I always think that expecting something is pretty reasonable in my situation. I am supposedly a professional, mid thirties, with an own practice and in the golden occupation bracket, but no, I am neither here nor there. I am not earning much, barely making 3 thousand a month, and without a pad of my own, and nope, I also don't have any counterpart to share my supposedly luxurious lifestyle with. Is asking for a better life materialistic? I don't think it's not unreasonable to expect something from myself, being educated and a professional(?).

I actually have dreams to serve the people, I even had the inclination to actually join a non profit organisation which is transparent, not like those that I had come across, and definately nothing like the NKFs in Singapore and some of the supposedly NGOs in Malaysia. I am more interested to join some organisation like MSF, which I had admired for sometime. The problem is that I haven't even provide enough for my loved ones to even put this in perspective. I always believe in the old Chinese saying, "To help others one must help ourselves first", so am I materialistic in this sense? You bet I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home