doc's dog day

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Chap Goh Mei

Yup, today is the last day of CNY, which is the 15th day of the lunar calendar, also the last day of festivities. It has been really already half a month since the first day of CNY and to say the least, it has passed like the wind. Time really flies.

Being the last day of CNY, it's also known as the Chinese equivalent of St Valentine's day, Yup we Chinese are a resourceful race, we have everything in Chinese. It's ironic that today is 12th of Febuary and 2 days before the world accepted Valentines. Tradition has it that pretty maidens of yesteryears will be on the lookout for eligible bachelors and it is said that by throwing mandarin oranges, the potential suitors will be in sight. It's more customary than religious and I bet there will be some people actually exploiting this thing. I remembered some companies organising a Chap Goh Mei and selling a package consisting of mandarins+waterproof markers, and candlesticks and red cloths. Needless to say all this comes in a package of 20bucks a pop, both genders would be buying and throwing the males if I remembered correctly will be throwing bananas as compared to the females. Phone numbers are exhanged in the process, as the people both males and females will fish out each other's "fruits" from the lakes. I bet it would be a hilarious occasion, but I suspect the people what grin the most would be the organisers. Wonder if it's on this year as well?

I couldn't imagine that there are so many singles around, articles in the local dailies always harp on the issue that the less number of singles are settling down, perhaps due to the paper chase as well as career advancement. It's but a matter of preference but I reckon at times it does felt kinda lonely especially when u need someone to bitch about. More and more professionals like me are single and I reckon that isn't a bad thing. Basically many organisation will exploit this and comes with packages to introduce people, one of them is even offer packages for dinner or lunch, I wonder if it actually works? packages ranges from 1k odd for a few introduction and I think the party that benefit the most would be the matchmaking agency, I think this is not a bad business to go into eh?

Anyway my resolution for Chap Goh Mei is this, there is no resolution. About concerns from family and friends that is worried about my status, I want to tell them don't worry, I am not bothered anymore. My perspectives have changed dramatically recently and I am happy with my status. Ask if u must and assume if u have to, but I am what I am and I will never bow to pressure to settle down for the sake of being one of the "normal" ones. So be it. That is not to say that I will push away any that comes my way, I won't be actively looking, if it comes it comes, if it doesn't I am not going to loose sleep over it.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home