doc's dog day

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The measure of success

I happen to read some people's blog and how they measure success. If their standards are anything to go by, I have to probably hang myself. There are many ways to gauge a person's success but sad to say I am not passing by their standards. I am neither a head of department, neither a dude that zips around in a beemer. I reckon many would associate being successful with material possesions. I think in this department I failed miserably.

What am I driving? I am zipping, nay crawling around in a 1998, Proton Wira Aeroback 1.3. Nothing fancy, not that I could afford anything other than this set of wheels way back in 1998. This is my first car and darn I was proud of how I could stretch a monthly income of a paltry Rm 1713 excluding tax that I earn a month whilst in the goverment service. Yup, I have been moving around in this for 8 years already and sad to say this workhorse is finally coming to the end of it's natural life. The aircond is not working, the engines shuts down once a while, but I console myself by constantly reminding myself that at least I have something to move around in, at least I don't have to pay a monthly installment to zip around in a spanking new beemer. What didn't I buy one beemer anyway? I don't know the exact reason, I like cars, as in any hormone infueled males, but heck I also know how to punch in the calculator and figure out that owning a set of kick ass wheels in Malaysia is something that is ludicrous, bordering on insanity. Why should I pay so much when it is worth probably 1/3 of it's price? If you ask me, I reckon it's daylight robbery, nothing more nothing less.

So I am a looser I suppose. But darn, I couldn't care less, If I have money I would invest in something else, and if I have tons of money I would be even more careful to avoid letting people know for the fear of being robbed or relatives and friends asking me for loans. Fact is, I am a person that likes to lie low, and doesn't like being in the limelight. Only people that wants to show offs drives around in million dollar cars and stay in wooden houses. For me, I suppose staying in a nicer place beats zipping around in an car, or having a nice kick ass watch like the Glashutte Original Senator watch, or maybe a Lange 1 would be a much better investment.

Meanwhile I wonder how long will my jalopy will continue to service my needs? Perhaps I have to start hunting for another car, err maybe a beemer this time, but most definately a used model?:)

2 Comments:

  • Hi there,

    My exact sentiments precisely, although my Proton Wira Aeroback 1.3 (too) isn't my first car. It has brought me a long way. I've been on a road trip with it. Like you, I had considered switching but it hasn't really given me any problems like yours has. Maybe it is time you get something new or used even. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 21, 2006 9:13 PM  

  • What matter most is that you are contented with your choice. Not the brand nor cost.

    By Blogger iml, at February 22, 2006 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home