doc's dog day

Monday, February 06, 2006

CNY and the days after

Just with a snap of my fingers, Chinese New Year has come and gone. As Hokkiens, the new year would be officially over on the ninth day of the lunar calender, that was yesterday.

I couldn't stop wondering that time really flies. It has been an uneventful occasion this CNY and I really felt that it was rather quiet, gone were the celebrations of yesteryears, the inccesant banging of firecrackers and the festivities atmostpheres with the drums and clanging of the lion dance troupes. This year, I noticed a dearth of any lion troupes, maybe it's me but it really felt "quiet".

What did I do during CNY? well I was off on the eve of it, being one of my usual off days, and I took 3 days off from work. This year was bad in the sense that we didn't have a reunion dinner. I reckon the family sort of strayed after my mum died and since there is no more figureheads at home, none of my siblings came back. They had their own family and hence their own reunion dinner. This one of the bleakest day that I could think of but heck it is a precedent of more CNYs to come. It was so boring that I went for a movie. I reckon at least the movie was the highlight of my new year, Jet Li in "Fearless" at least brighten my otherwise mediocre new year. Since the fourth day of CNY is supposedly very auspicious and advocated by some grandmaster, I decided to commence my practice then. It was pretty quiet when I open for business and the rest of the establishment are closed for business. That's a different thing altogether. The actual day of CNY was spend at home, doing nothing as we could not celebrate as we were still in mourning. No red and flashy clothes, no prayers to the "God of Heaven", nothing. I didn't even visit any friends during these period. As per usual, the television programes are pretty similar to the past new year and most are shot in location in China. beautiful scenery only to be "defaced" by rubber faced singers and entertainers. I reckon if their faces cramped up after filming? Too much smiling I suppose?

As per any CNY, we ended up going to my friends office and some Mahjong sessions. I reckon every year is more or less the same, as it is, every year I would budget some monies to loose to them. I am no gambler and I think I pretty much "suck" in manipulating mahjong cards or tiles. Ah well, once a year, is fine. I find arranging and playing it very stressful and tiring. I am glad I am no fans of the game of chance. Phew! I would prefer to have a cuppa of coffee or even a can of cold beer!

The second and third day is pretty similar to the first day, mahjong and more mahjong, I was practically dreaming of the mahjong tiles when I was sleeping, one thing that was positive was that I had managed to squeeze some jogging into the frenzy of mahjoing. Jogging is so much more rejuvenating than mahjong, wonder why people are so addicted to this game?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home