doc's dog day

Thursday, January 26, 2006

First Night in Beijing

I wanted to say that we went partying after the initial first night, but heck, after the Forbidden Palace, we went for a impromptu lunch, which was nothing to shout about and then back to another place called "Wang Fu Chin" a Petaling Street lookalike which is famous for their barbeque on sticks pretty similar to our own satay, and the barbeque can be from a simple beef to more exotic seahorses, or even bugs, yeah huge bugs including silk worms and also some humongous cochroach and grasshoppers, lets just leave it by saying that "they" are crunchy!:P

There are also lots of imitation antiques as well as collectibles there and we spend our time browsing at all the numerous items on sale. The trick here is to counteroffer to a rediculously low price and then work up from there. There are not used to the bargaining power of a KLite and yeah good deals are all around, but at the speed of which they agree and deal on the price that I counter offered, I suspect, I must be the sucker here, but heck, I am on holiday and prices are no issue, IF I really like it right? My friend bought a humongous "Three Country/ Warring States" period knife and it was so cool! The problem would be to bring it back to KL, it's an experience by itself, haggling over prices while in the same time freezing my ass off, the jitterry words and the constant shivering makes it a worthwhile experience. On yes did I mention "stinky toufu", well stink is an understatement! The stinkier it is, the more delicious it is! GO FIGURE!

I also had my first taste of "Frozen Sugary Peach" or something likethat, it's call "Ping Tang Hu Lao" and it merely tiny apples or some fruit coated in liquified sugar, it was ahem a different experience and suffice to say I am no fans of it! :). By 5 PM the sky is already turning dark and there are more and more people around shopping and hurrying back, this was also the time that we got into the car and depart for our hotel.

We rested for sometime, to bathe and also to refreshen up before going for dinner, we had some local Beijing food and some really strong chinese alcohol, which is 56% proof! I can virtually feel the movement of the drink as it snakes its way down my oesophagus and into my stomach! But heck it's divine especially in the cold winter time! Ah the liquor the food, it almost brings a tears to my eyes! I also had my first Peking Duck, simply beautiful, done the traditional way, with dough wrappings filled with shallots, anions, and vegetables. It's simply beautiful that the crispy duck skin done to perfection and melts away in your mouth! Yummy!!! We had a big feast, with "Mah Lat (spicy Sichuan styled) fish", vegetables, meat, a few other types of beef, pork, chicken, beijing duck, 3 other types of vegetables and it costs nothing more than 150 ringgit! with beers and super strong chinese liquor! A feast to be remembered, not to mentioned FULL!

As it was our first day in Beijing and having travelled so much, we decided to return to the hotel for a good night's sleep in preparation for tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home