doc's dog day

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

11.7.2005

A new day and a new begining. I promise myself not to feel unhappy today at least have a more positive outlook and to take whatever challenges that come my way with a more positive attitude. I think my continous repetoire of my relationship problems is getting more and more monotonous and so for a change I would refocus my energy into something more concrete and informative. I reckon the things that i can comment on is the daily occurences that is happening in and around our surroundings. I am most irritated and concerned by the inconsiderate road users that is present in our country. Have u ever seen inept and stupid drivers double parking on the side of the road? Motorist beating the light? I even had motorcyclist beating red light even the contraflow lights has already turn green! Surprising? I am not. I reckon even if they were being knocked down I don't think I have the slightest sympathy for them. Why would I? I was nearly "creamed" by them many times already!

I wonder why would motorcyclist risk limb and life just to save some time? Do beating the red light safe u lots of time? A common misnomer by the way. At the most, the time safe if probably a few extra minutes, but is it worth it? The very fact that it is a common fact but uncommon knowlege that the difference between a car and a motorbike is that in cars, it's metal covering the "skin" where else in a motorcycle, it's the exact opposite, which is "skin" covering the metal. So with less wheels and more exposed skin, do they thing that they can make it every time? Reports estimates that more than 80% of vehicular accidents involving motorcyclist ends in death or permanent disabilities. Higher incidence like this happens in Asean countries like Malaysia and Thailand as it is by far the cheapest mode of transport and can be easily available to the masses. The younger age which one can obtain a licience is another contributing factor to the equation. As it is, more and more youngsters are obtaining permit to drive and since adrenaline seems to be a "driving force" these people tend to ride very fast and recklessly, without a care in the world for authority and the law of the day. I think this is one of the reason where social decay starts.

There are so many legislation and law to curb people and to maintain law and order, but the fact remains that it's only a law and is written somewhere in the books, some enactment and some sublaw which in effect is not used to punish those caught. Worst still with so many laws, most of the officers and the police involved are not even well versed with them. There are instances that the ones which breaks the laws like speeding and running the red light is perpetrated by the peope entrusted to safeguard them. With that there is also lack of enforcement in the part of the authorities. I think the average citizen need to voice their concerns to the police in this matter. But as much as I am saying that most already accepted the fact and in effect turn a blind eye into things like this. It'll be only tragedy waiting to happen, what if a bus ferrying school children collide with a semi truck beating the red light, only then and then will people spring to their feet and motioning with aghast about the horror. But being the average Malaysian, unless it's up their backside, no one will spring into action.

I remember a case when I was attached to a hospital on the east coast. I was on duty and there was a few accidents that came to the emergency ward. There was a chap on a bike that was involved in an accident that have broken his foot. He was in an illegal race and was injured while racing for the prize of a "girl"! anyway he had a fractured femur, tibia fibula and some lacerated and abrasion injuries. He was in pain asked me for some relief. I replied that with that fractures, no pain medication will work. I enquired what was his speed when he crashed and he told me 160kms/hr. My! even with my car, the fastest that i had ever gone were 130kms/hr! He's lucky that he didn't suffer from anything more!

I am wondering what the authorities will do to curb this problem? Would courtesy drives and public education made any difference? Would demerit point systems do it's role without any real enforcement? I seriously doubt it. I think the most important thing to change is the perception and the behaviour of the general public. Without proper common sense, problems like this will fester continously. Meanwhile the scenario of the bus and the trailer is one this is just waiting to happen.

Back to my existence. Business in so so, seeing more patients over the earlier part of the day, towards to late evening and night, patients were sparse and few. I reckon it may be due to the fact that it was raining. Ah well, I reckon it would be good to just rest a bit as I had barely 40 winks last nite. I reckon my insomnia is getting worst by the day, which actually sort of explains my foul moods. I am still controlling my temper thought and I have promised myself not to be too moody and to be more cheerful. Am well on my way there I think, just need more time to reach that goal. went back home after work and had some drinks before falling asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home