doc's dog day

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What am I worth?

Something that has been perplexing me for a very long time, as it is, I am 35, a professional, operating my own practice and in the eyes of a lot of people, am quite successful in my own right. I went for some supper in and around Imbi area and what struck me as fascinating is the number of nice and imported continental cars around the place. What stump and stupify me even more is the drivers; mostly fresh out of school/college/university, in other words, youngsters! I wonder where do they get the money from? Is making a living so easy that so many young people nowadays can afford to splurge around in a quarter of a million ringgit rides? I must be missing something, or I must have completely lost focus, seriously.

I wonder in the eyes of people like these, where do I stand? I am struggling and as it is I reckon many honest and hardworking people are feeling the heat, what magical formula and investment strategy are they subscribing to? I wouldn't mind zooming around in a beemer at all, but frankly if I could afford I wouldn't be ferrying around KL in an old jalopy, right? I wonder if my investment portfolio is so pathetic that I am not even sustaining myself let alone basks in utter luxury? I do wonder.

Sometimes I envy people having everything provided for them, people born with a silver spoon, getting a headstart and a spring board in everything they do. I for one haven't these luxuries, but even if I have, I think I wouldn't ever take it. I am more a person who wants to make it on my own right, not depending on contacts and cables, I reckon working and striving hard myself is what I am most comfortable with. I understand the intricacies of connections but I will network myself.

Maybe these young people doesn't actually understand the virtue of making it on our own, or perhaps the value of money? Or maybe every single cent that they earn is plonked into the car installments? But whenever rainy days comes, they would be the one who goes bust first? It makes me wonder why are so many young people a bankrupt? Maybe the lifestyle and the amount they earn doesn't commensurate with their lifestyle? I have to be more conservative, being 35, I would have to think of my future and my loved ones first and foremost. Paying my property would be the first thing on my mind!

3 Comments:

  • I don't really envy those people who are born with a silver spoon. What I have now, I work and strike hard for it. And I will appreciate everything that I have. Since what I have now comes the hard way :)

    By Blogger Chen, at November 09, 2005 11:36 PM  

  • Neither do I. There's no pride if everything you have is because someone gave it to you and you never had to work to get it.

    Merc..stop trying to belanja me out of kindness..let me wash your dishes at least...kekekekeke. Just kidding :P :D

    Gosh I love this blog.

    By Blogger Sharon D., at November 10, 2005 7:41 AM  

  • chen- ditto, u voice my exact sentiment.

    GM- wash my plates? kekekeek, I dun have plates eh!

    By Blogger mercuri2000, at November 10, 2005 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home