doc's dog day

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Interesting sections

After posting some rather controversial entry 2 days back I reckon it would be best to tone down and do an about turn. As it is, the blog entries are a bit boring and devoid of anything which I would term "interesting". Far too many grouses and bitching. Too many of the same things and as such I find it less refreshing. So today my entry is a bit different. Nothing ordinary but something that we (well most of us anyway) does a lot.

Nope I am not talking about bodily functions but rather the act of reading a newspaper. As it is, some people would automatically browse at the sports sections and some like flies hooked on to light would subconsiously be drawn to some sections articles like "Dear Thelma". I can't deny the fact that some of the questions and articles in this section is "enticing" and "interesting". Especially cheating and those sexually explicit ones which invaribly evoke our own primal instinct. My! give me a spicy cheat any day!

Well, as for me, it's not the spicy section, sports, cartoons or even the feel good section that makes my day. Morbid or not, my curiosity is almost always drawn to the obituary section. Yeah, no joke. I somehow find this section "engrossing" as well as "interesting". Have any ever wondered that during the person's hey day what he/she actually does for a living? The person that has just passed on might have condescendently stepped on many people's toes? Maybe even commit crimes in their heyday? Or perhaps the person that has passed on has so many virtues and is such a good human that many more famous people cannot compare or even come close? Wonder if the short single sentence eulogy with the numerous numbers of children and grandchildren does him/her any justice?

Ever wondered how many have children and offsprings that are successful or lack of it? How has the person lived his/her life? Have they acheive what they set out to do? What they wanted? What is the thing that they will miss most? What are the things that they best want to take with them? Maybe this person has been one of the biggest benefactor a school, charity or the nation has ever seen? Is having a small 2 by 6 inch advert in the local dailies adequate to trumpet that person's achievements or lack of it? Perhaps that person had one of the best skills when it comes to writing, and he/she would be doing a much better job in writing this than me, ever wondered that?

I came across an eulogy that I think is beautifully written, it reads like this:-

"It's not that we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth ---- and that we had no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest as if it was the only one we have"

~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Whatever had been said, this section invariably suck me in, I might be morbid and a sucker for it, which makes me wonder what will be written in mine when I'm gone? Perhaps I should forward some self help site into writing a good eulogy to my loved ones?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home