doc's dog day

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Passion and Realisation

The night started as any other nights, I had passed my car keys to the valet and is making my way into a nitespot. All these seem very new to me, well not exactly new, but it was like a sort of reawakening. I haven't step foot in a similar place for so many years, a place where they have scantily clad females and loud thumping bass where you can barely hear yourself think. I had just been reacquainted with a discotheque. This is the first after a decade. My re-orientation begins in a place which is aptly called, Passion.

The area is nice enough, more upmarket than your average head banging discotheque, and the patrons were mostly younger people, smartly dressed and the females were rather chiq, this is one of the happening places that the yuppies patronise, I for one hasn't even heard of Passion, but was nonetheless obligated to tag along after being invited by a friend that came back from Shanghai. The whole design and ambience of Passion is something that needs to be experienced, it's nice and cozy, rather chiq as well as eluding a sense of exclusiveness. Gone were the days of huge speakers, sixties style parquet dance floor and the "crystal globe" that has been immortalised in "Saturday Night Fever", and replacing it, a nice outdoor patio that doubles as the dance floor as well as a dining area.

As the night wears on, the deafening selection of loud music, with the smoky enviroment actually makes it less pleasant for an old man like me. I noticed that many if not all patrons seem to be having a whale of a time drinking and edging each other to down more and more glasses of liquor and alcohol. I had a few shots of whisky and it was as difficult to avoid being sucked into the vicious cycle of being toasted to, but luckily I can hold my ground, lest be inebriated. The females were sweaty from gyrating and dancing while I was gingerly sitting and avoiding the onslaught of the reccurant banging of glasses. A sudden realisation that I don't actually enjoy places like this hit me like a speeding train. I realised why I wasn't a clubber, and prefering oddly to have my drinks in a pub with easy listening or in a jazz bar.

Some females upon having a few glasses too many, were pissed drunk. As it is I wonder what's so interesting and enjoyable to be seen in places like this? Is this place so happening and fun? or perhaps being seen here is something that is essential and important? I am truly getting older and places like this is no longer appealing to me. I reckon give me a good novel and a beer and that would make my day. Passion's aside, I wonder how many patrons would actually be detained driving under the influence by the police barricade just a hundred metres away?

3 Comments:

  • Hi, this is still-seeking from bunny's site. Nope, not a feminist - and after reading your account of the crazed phone stalker, I think the last thing you need is another ranting female in your face.
    Your comment (mono-occular) reminded me that I may have relapsed into men judgement mode again. Thanks.
    As for chionging and clubbing - it's a mass conspiracy for people to wear as little as possible (females) and hang around with other people who all think that uncoordinated gyrating and inebriation are cool. Plus, the loud music ensures that no intelligent conversation can take place.
    But can be cathartic if one likes to dance.

    By Blogger still seeking, at October 16, 2005 8:09 PM  

  • guess the youngsters find discotheque is a great place to have a booze without their parents' knowledge. Even myself going there once in while to drain my tension away by dancing whole nite and I don't drink.. :)

    By Blogger fiery, at October 17, 2005 10:24 AM  

  • Where's Noor?

    By Blogger Sharon D., at October 17, 2005 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home