doc's dog day

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Sales and ethics

A name card and a small tap on the door indicates yet another salesperson to see me. I have in my years of practise seen and interact with a fair share of medical representatives. I could remember most of them, with some being pretty inexperience and fresh out of college, few are sincere, most are pretty aggresive in wanting to push a new medicine, a new product or a new use of an existing medicine.

Fact is, many aren't trained well, product wise; diplomacy and friendliness is something that they are exploiting for the sheer purpose of closing a deal. Some strut around in their nice outfits and holding PDAs and nice handphones, many are fresh, pretty face with nothing more than that. I actually understand the motivation of chasing after sales and quite frankly I emphatize with them. The difference between hitting the target is pretty huge and the monetary rewards high. But having double standards is surely pretty myopic in outlook? Well at least I would opine. I was brought up to think that there shouldn't be any double standards in treating anyone especially a client, perhaps a small minute number of people think like me, but utterly devastating is that, most don't see eye to eye with it. I had a few unpleasant experience with them and quite frankly I am pissed.

Why is it that doctors who treats them courteously and appropriately always get the raw end of the bargain? I always pay my medicine bills on time and there was one incident that I was being chased for payment even when it isn't due. I always wonder if these people mistake being nice and friendly as being a pushover? What the heck, I never see them going after bad paymasters. And why is that? Maybe talking and communicating with them in a friendly manner makes me a dolt? Perhaps I should be mean and treat them badly? It makes me wonder.

There are also some representative that keeps all the small gifts and premium items all for themselves and their family members. Mind you, I am least interested in all those "gifts" but I was pretty pissed when one of them casually gave me a plastic file and a lousy pen as being a "gift" with best compliments from their company. My, the cheek that person have! Do they really think that I would want a plastic file and a lousy pen? or even a keychain with a light source? I have to bloody remind them that these supposedly "premium" items are meant as a marketing tool and a gimmick to promote their medications, and giving it to me is advertising. I reckon I must look very interested and enticed with the 2 dollar premium "gifts".


Some are so blatantly figure mad that it's a pain to even talk to them, they would pester you to buy their products, never even stop to think that if it's neccesary or appropriate for a setup like mine. I feel some are mercenary like, seeing me and upon knowing that I am unable to purchase big lots, never ever come to visit again, not that I am complaining. Maybe it's true that solo practice clinic like mine will never be able to bulk purchase, but I am happy with the performance of my practice. Who cares for people like this. I reckon I would not even entertain the ones who practice double standards. I reckon I would have to be meaner. The next time around, I will chuck the name card away.

2 Comments:

  • I get my fair share of sales people walking in. It really irks me when they don't make an appointment and expect me to drop everything to accomodate them.
    Sometimes I get so mad, I just shoo them out especially those pushy ones who think they can get away with their oh-so-fake smile :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 9:02 AM  

  • Its the religious ones that bother me... I dont mind the charity's :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home