doc's dog day

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Domestic Violence

I witness something that I reckon I wasn't supposed to see. I mean things like this happen right between our noses daily but most turn a blind eye towards it. There are times when we read it on our daily news and dismiss it as part and parcel of life. It's just that person's problems and in a way it is, eventhough measures have been taken to educate the public on it, it's sad that it's is still happening.

What did I actually see? Behind the wheel while waiting for the traffic lights, I saw a altercation between 2 person in a stationary car parked along the road shoulder. Let me elaborate, as I was driving back from market-ing last Saturday, I happen to pass a black car, a pretender which is modified beyond comprehension, adorned with blue strobbing lights and huge spoilers that makes me wonder if it helps to "lift" the car and fly away when it is speeding, but that is another story all together. Coming back to this, I noticed a woman walking towards and entered into the car and out of the blue the black coloured national car started shaking violently and I noticed that the female's head has been pushed down towards the gear and the man inside was like hitting and punching her! OMG, what is happening? Was it a domestic dispute? I reckon it can't be but whatever it is, I cannot see the virtue of solving a problem by resorting to violence.

By then I was contemplating intervening, but as it is, being a KLite and also someone who is trained and cautioned not be to a busybody, I refrained from going to the woman's aid. I noticed the woman sobbing before I was honked as the lights turned green.

It made me felt bad post witnessing this fight. I wonder why things cannot be solved amicably with dialog? What is our world heading to when a woman can be abused on broad daylight even in the confines of their car? It made me felt bad the whole day just be witnessing this and made me wonder why didn't I intervene. I felt compelled to do something but as it is, nothing I can do can make a difference. The fact remains that the said women, and only she can make all these abuses stop. I think many women think that they are suffering and fighting a silent fight. This is actually not the case. Most people emphatise and understands this and the first step would be to come to terms with the abuses and not hide behind a veil of fabricated believes! This is the first step to a series long initiatives leading to the recovery of both emotional and physical wellbeing. There are so many support groups for Violence against woman that it's imperative she seeks help. Meanwhile I wonder what would happen to the poor lady in the car? I hope and pray that she will be prudent enough to be aware of her alternatives and seek help. I will pray for her.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home