doc's dog day

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Product Launch and Dinner

On Saturday evening I was invited for a product launch in a swanky Italian restaurant in downtown city centre. It was raining cats and dogs and as usual the event started late to facilitate the arrival of the invited guests. I do wonder if it's not raining would the guest turn out late as well, if I am not mistaken I reckon they would. People including medical professionals are time adverse.

As it is, I thought it would be a low key event. I assumed due to the unforgiving weather and the scattered flash floods and the traffic jams, the event would be thinly attended and the fact is that I couldn't be more wrong. I reached on time and was really taken aback by the amount of people that attended. It couldn't be more "high" keyed if it's held in a upmarket and rediculously expensive fine dining Italian restaurant. I am perplexed and appalled that there are kids and children running around, spouses and also maids tending to the childrens. I mean, is it supposed to be a drug launch for Doctors and medical professionals or is it a family day gathering? Did I seriously walked into the wrong function?

I wonder are the people so enthusiatic to learn about a new medications or are they strictly in it for the food? Hmm, from my observation it had to be the latter and I suspect that the food will definately be insufficient. The talk was interesting enough, but I find the attentiveness and the respect of the fellow attendees to the speakers lacking. It's rude and inappropriate and the conduct unbecoming from a professional. Mobile phones are going off inccesantly, chattering, all in, projecting a chaotic ambience and an uncongenial atmostphere.

Most of all I am sickened that people lack the acumen and common sense that events like this are supposedly for the benefit of doctors and strictly a non family outing. Perhaps I am mistaken but seriously can people be so frugal and scrooged like, that they cannot afford to go there at their own expense? I for one will never be in it for the food. I would be happy to have a plate of "Char Keay Teow" anytime, rather than queue up for the food.
Needless to say, upon completion of the interesting and informative talk, I took my leave going back for my favourite maggie mee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home