doc's dog day

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Puttoo Mahyam

This name has sort of been erased from my memory for a good number of years but recently this difficult to pronounced 2 little words has miraculously been resurrected. I could still vividly remember how it looks. It has been a long time since I hold it nimbly in my hands, trying to caress it deftly with some sweet brownish shearings and coconut flakes to accompany it. I am yearning for another taste of this but I haven't been seeing it around for a good number of years. I wonder how would it feels like to twirl this mixture into my tongue and to be reminded of how life used to be? Why has this local delight been phased out by the more common and popular deserts like ice-cream and cakes?

I remember in my younger days I always wait for the indian uncle that sells this unique desert to come to my place, with the mandatory hollering. I will wait eagerly for the old uncle to come in his cycle and wait for the honking sounds from the black coloured bladder horn that give a distinctive bellow when it's pressed. It is something that the younger people nowadays never had an opportunity to experience. It's sad that this unique desert has lost it's standing in the modern world.

It always intrique me why something as special as this desert and it's unique taste is no longer available in our country? I think this is basically due to the onslaught of advertising and the blind acceptance of things imported, like Starbucks and all the deserts that is supposedly much nicer, mudcakes, tiramisu and what not, scones?

I think "putto mahyam" embodies more than just being a desert, it's an icon that has lost it's uniqueness to globalisation. The very fabric of what life used to be is currently splintered into what it is now due to the influx of westernised ideas and way of doing things. Traditional businesses and way of life is slowly being etched into the annals of history by the so called globalisation drive.

Meanwhile, this desert will still linger in my mind and my taste buds for years to come, I wonder when I will have another attempt to caress it again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home