doc's dog day

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Eve of Independance

48 years ago today, the nation stood in silence, full of anticipation for tomorrow, the 31st August, the day our nation gained independance and became a self ruled sovereign country. I cannot imagine what is going through the minds of the general population, the rakyat but I assume it's filled with enthusiasm, patriotism and elation. I wished I have that exact feeling with me right now, fastforward 48 years to the current time but instead of feeling elated, I don't actually feel any emotion, nothing at all, ziltch, nyet.

I wonder if half the current population of the so called new generation actually feel the rush of patriotism of any form. Most are too young to have any recollection of the trials and tribulation of the years under occupation and governance from the englishmen, and the miseries of war. The younger generation is totally sheltered and cushioned courtesy of the hardships experienced by our parents. I am one of the newer generation of people of this country and it's not unreasonable to say that I haven't received had any gratification from the goverment. I strive and work hard during my service in the goverment only to be sidelined and cast aside for the people with the right connections as well as the right skin "tone". What is this? Affirmative action? How can affirmative action be just when it's open to systemic abuse by the people in power? I reckon unless mentality like this is casts aside and real equality and unbiasness injected into the system, no one would feel patriotic, well least not me.

There are loads of programes and drives to instil this into our minds, but it hasn't been working. I cannot see this achievable in the near future, not when I'm still alive. Patriotism and the love for our country doesn't come with "force", it needs to be nurtured and from continous cultivation with love and care, spreads and propagate from there. No amount of propaganda and motivational speeches and activities can fast track this process. At the end, having laws to penalise shopkeepers for not hanging up the national flag is both absurd and silly, bordering on ridiculousness. If we were to respect the flag, why would they want people to adorned their filthy cars with the flag? Perhaps they should wear the flag even closer to their body by making underwear with insignia of it? Ah yes, ever think of having the displayed flag stolen in the middle of the night as being patriotic? It happen to me!

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home