doc's dog day

Friday, August 26, 2005

Brainless Banter

Friday night, the eve of my day off, and I am sitting with time on my hands, thinking of ways to spend it and guess what? I end up writing in my blog with loads of things in my mind, non specific ones , furiously typing away. Which is why the heading reads "Brainless Banter".

The day started off like any day, nothing much considering it's still the month of Spirit Festivities. For chinese it's a month long orgy of celebration as well as prayers. There are numerous shelters built along the roadside and offerings put up on tables all along the areas. It's a spectacle to witness and a real experience by itself whereby temporary stages are built with scantily clad singers belting out equally suggestive songs with gyrating bodies in order to appease wondering spirit. Can you beat that? Singing to entertain the spirit? I reckon this is definately taking entertainment a bit too far! I wonder if any other race have an excuse to celebrate every single thing? We have celebration for everything, from birth to the dead. From marriage to divorce. I reckon being a chinese I find this a rather perplexing and complex concept.

The offerings that they made were really ingenious, everything that we have in this world are duplicated in paper, from the latest B&O beo soundstage system to the newer models of Mercedes Benz. Whatever happened to the more affordable Protons? Reckon when we are alive, the car that we can afford to drive are only protons but when we are dead we would be privy to drive Mercs which isn't all that bad! Hmm, Perhaps I should put it in my will that when I pass on my ride of choice would be a Ferari F40 in my afterlife, wonder if the workers can come out with one of those? Whatever that you cannot afford, you could jolly well get it when you are dead. What you want you can have it, from latest mobile phones to designer branded clothings, darn I reckon being dead is even more fun eh? All this are replicated in paper. This is an work of art by itself, workers furiously using bamboo to make the frame and skeleton before coloured paper are applied on to the frame to resemble whatever that the dead fancies. Isn't that going a bit far?

Foods galore will be adorned and put up in all the tables laid out for the benefit of the dead. Some people who has the "third" eye claims that spirits with their long tongue would be licking and tasting the foods, and after the praying and burning of all the luxurious paper mache products the "devotees" would then take home the "offered foods" and then eat. I think if I have the 3rd eye and can see this, I would be running like hell from the foodstuffs. Yucks, long and dripping tongue, how gross can it get?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home