doc's dog day

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Beijing Airport

The minute hand of my watch struck 6.10am as the plane touches down in Beijing International. I had been in the MAS flight embarking from KLIA 30th December and now after 6 hours flight it's the eve of the new year, and a begining of a new fine day. My immediate reaction when I reach was; Yay, I am finally here, the land of my forefathers, the land of the Middle Kingdom and I had after painful deliberation, finally decided to come.

Disembarking from the Malaysia Airlines I made my way to the immigration channel, it was smooth sailing without any untoward incidence, the female officer looked as my passport and flipped to it rigorously as if hunting for some chinese characters and eyeing the officer with my most sincere and innocent look, it struck me that eventhough we are of the same race, the people here and the chinese in Malaysia look considerably different. That would be discussed more in my later posts, what I am interested in writing now is about my trip and I would, ahem, stick to my plans of doing so.

As I advance to the arrival hall I could sense the temperature dipping. The chilly Beijing air suddenly enveloped me and it hit me hard, err cold! I need extra protection, I need my winter jacket! My! cold is an understatement, I reckon the warm ambience in the airport gave me a surreal feeling about comfort as I leave it's warm embrace, I am shivering now! I have shaking like a cheap 2 buck vibrator. I saw loads of people covered in thick jackets, and it was by itself something of an eye opener for me.

We met the chap that was supposed to pick us up and we left the confines of the airport and into the centre of Beijing. I couldn't stop but noticed the motherlode of cars that is queueing to get into the airport, to my untrained eye, it would seem that it stretched for as much as a kilometre, maybe more, this too at 6.50am in the morning, KLIA is so "empty" as compared to this terminal.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home