doc's dog day

Friday, December 02, 2005

Medical leave and antibiotics

My first post on December, I am into the initial phase of age 36 and this it fair share of controversy. I reckon I'm a magnet for controversies! Nah, just joking, but I had some thoughts about something that happen to me just a couple of days ago.

It started off naturally enough, a friend of mine wanting to see me for some medical illness. She came and I subsequently examined her on a professional level, listening intently as to what is the actual problem and also asking and probing about her state of health, her condition as well as her diet for the rest of the week. I did my part to elicit an appropriate history and exacted my examination. I came to a conclusion that my friend is suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection and in this case bacterial in origin. I advised appropriate rest, fluid intake as well as certain medications and in this case since she had bacterial infection I suggested antibiotics and guess what? She vehemently and single mindedly refused all forms of medications. I was as perplexed as well as intrigued!

It started to hit on to me what is the exact purpose of her seeking "treatment" from me? I mean, "hello, I am a professional and have been trained in the science of medicine". Then it hit! She ONLY wanted Medical Certificates/Leaves (MCs)! If u think that I am not good enough, they why see me? It's akin to asking someone for advice but not listening to it. I mean what the heck, is my sole purpose in practising medicine merely to dispense Medical Leaves? I was royally pissed.

U know what she said? In really "See lai" fashion, "No lah, I don't want antibiotics lah, after taking it, my body cannot fight the infection by its' own lah, It'll be bad for my body lah".
I asked her who told her that antibiotics is harmful to our body? And she responded that ........ everyone!! Can u beat it? Yeah, everyone who ISN'T trained before. Jeez, I give up trying to convince people like this, people who thinks they know more than me, so be it. I am not in the mood to try to change their perception. Hello.........., every Tom, Dick and Harry is also a doctor meh?

She asked me if juicing and taking loads of fruits can cure her illness, what am I to say? I mean what I adviced, u don't want to listen and NOW u want me to tell u WHAT u want to listen? I mean, go get a life and sod off eh! Royally pissed is an understatement. I gave her the Medical Leave and some medications that she wanted, which is vitamins. She doesn't even want to take Panadol and other symtomatic medications for cough and runny nose. I reckon she must know MORE about medicine than ME.


After 2 days she calls me to tell me that she needs more MCs, my answer to her is, SOD off! U are a doctor mah, go treat yourself! And yeah in case you are reading this, I am no quack, and I have my integrity as well. My medical certificate is NOT to be friggin abused, how could I recommend you leave when you aren't even following my recommendation to take the appropriate medications? Perhaps you are much better off sitting in my place and dispensing your total health advice eh? How about doing some Yogic posture to rid urself of the infection? That would be the news of the century, I'd reckon.

_________________________________________________________

It's people like this irks me the most. I mean it's like the chinese saying "Know a little, acts as representative", come on, I'd never advise you how to do your set of accounts? I would never advise a Pilot how to handle the plane would I? Or how about the engineer and architect on how to build the high rise? I'd have half a mind NOT to stay there upon completion. It would in my honest opinion, collapse. Drawing parellel to this I think I am deeply pissed and offended when a lay person teaches me how to prescribe medicine. I have no qualms about giving them a piece of my mind.

4 Comments:

  • I know how u feel...
    Well, I do face people like that on and off...

    By Blogger Chen, at December 02, 2005 10:21 PM  

  • gap, kenot chill lah, it's akin to asking and telling ur mother how to cook rice! go figure!:P

    chen, well when u finish and go private there'll even be more people like this. Ah! the curse of the internet. The problem is that information is so easily available but knowing what to trust is difficult. U reckon?

    By Blogger mercuri2000, at December 06, 2005 12:48 PM  

  • oh god you sound PISSED. But can't help laughing either *rolls on floor*

    By Blogger Aurora, at December 09, 2005 3:52 PM  

  • aurora:-

    Well, it's no laughing matter, but yup, I reckon it's funny when u look at it from a different perspective. LOL**

    By Blogger mercuri2000, at December 14, 2005 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home