doc's dog day

Thursday, December 27, 2007

So long friend...


I have been in the medical line since I started with medical school way back in 1991. It was then when i bought my own stethoscope, one that i had bought with my own money from a quaint little medical outlet in one of the shops opposite Subang Jaya Medical Centre. I could still remember clearly taking the bus, a Sri Jaya bus there and to buy it. If memory serves me right, I paid 139 bucks for my Littmann Classic II stethoscope.

Armed with my own personal stethoscope, I embarked into the new journey to seek knowledge in a foreign land, in India to learn the finer points of being a good medical practitioner. My stethoscope has been with me through thick and thin, helping me pass my clinical exams until I graduated first class in my Medical degree. I had detected all sorts of funny noise emanated from our body, from the lung sounds, to those obscure clicking sound of the heart valves, the snapping when a diseased mitral valves closes, the whooshing sound of a murmur to the intestinal movements, the gurgling and twisting of the bowels.
It had also functioned as a "fashion" statement, being able to proudly hang it across my shoulder or just plain hanging from my neck. I cannot imagine it has already served me for 16 long years, my old Littmann.

On the afternoon of 26th december, my trusty old stethoscope was no more. The metal within the rubber body broke and gave way. I reckon I will need to get a new one, but the memory of my old companion lingers on and will always be in my heart and mind.
Good bye friend and it was my and honor and my pleasure to brace all those tests and incidences with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home