doc's dog day

Friday, December 16, 2005

Investment Options

Thank God It's Friday, yup today is Friday, the eve of the day that I can at least sleep in later tomorrow. I haven't been blogging lately as I haven't been in the mood. I reckon I am not a particularly dedicated blogger, heck I don't know if I am considered a blogger. But here I am writing another post as to what is currently the highlight of my life, not that it's of any interest.

What has transpired over the weekend? Nothing much, day in day out I noticed the lack of clients and patients, which makes me reflect on what is actually wrong. Perhaps our state of economy is really that bad until the general public have to scrimp and safe even in the expense of their health. Well, not to be the one who pours cold water, I am not feeling particularly optimistic about our country's state of health, I deduce that it is at an unhealthy vital signs. So being rather free, I had nothing much to do apart from staring on my notebook screen and plan. I am planning for my next step in life.

I reckon many would think that I am funny in the sense that I am now pretty tied down to my practice, having to sit in my clinic until ungodly hours, but heck, since this place is not generating the returns that I would have expected, either due to the sluggish economy, or the lack of interpersonal skills on my part or perhaps even my lack of medical skills, I will need to find alternative modes of income. I have been contemplating various avenues and one of them being real estate investments.

I started late in life, having started with practically nothing but a paper qualification. Being pretty ambitious in my own right and I started venturing out at 32, where I had set up my first practice. That, unfortunately was a huge mistake, ending with me losing all my savings. After that I thought of giving up and apply to work overseas, but I held back my plans as I wanted to take care of my mum. She is gone now, and currently being over the age of 35, the points accorded to me will automatically be less.

I need to completely restructure my investment portfolio and I am busy these few days thinking of what and where to invest. I admit I am very impatient when it comes to this, and I know that I need to be patient, but I need to buck up if I intend to semiretire by 40. I am doing what I can to ultimately achieve this goal. My current plan is to maintain my practice and generate some amount of income, invest in stocks and hopefully make a decent return of investment. Something above 50% returns in half a year would suffice. I wanted pick up more properties to generate some returns but as the economy is pretty unstable all interests in real estate needs to be pacified, I think the property market is currently in its down cycle and buying one anytime soon is suicidal. I have to restructure my portfolio to something like 40:30:20:10, meaning 40% liquidity ( for bullets in case some bargains properties comes along), 30% tied in business, 20% in properties and 10% in shares and stocks. This would hopefully be okay in the near future, moving on to a new year, I pray that my plans would be realised. May 2006 brings forth prosperity good news.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home