doc's dog day

Friday, December 09, 2005

What? Another scam?

I've received this email in my mailbox today and out of curiosity I open it. What amazes me is that there are so many scams going around? Below is the actual email that I receive:-

Hello my dear,Compliment of the day, I’m Mrs.Joy Daku fromsierra-Leone. I picked interest on you after glancingthrough your short profile, I deemed it necessary todisclose this important issue I believe one thing inme that God will always make a way for the needy andhelpless one. I would like you to do me this favour,save my soul before I die. My husband Mr.Williams Daku(late) who was killed bythe rebels in 2003, during the political uprising herein Cote d'Ivoire, deposited some money in a bankhere(US$10.5Million) in a suspense fixed account. Mylate husband was an Agro- Merchant, he did export tomany countries before his untimely death.Since I lost my husband, I’ve contacted the bank forthe release of the money, the Bank Manger preciselytold that my late husband made the deposit in asuspense fixed account with a clause attached to itfor onward transfer into a foreign account, that I’llnot have access to the money now until it’stransferred first. On this note, I contacted you to please come in as mylate husband’s foreign business partner to enable thebank transfer the money in yourforeign account The bank has given me requirements I should forward tothem:1. Your full name, contact postal address2. Your phone and fax numbers.This is a matter of trust, now I confide in you sinceI don’t know anybody abroad, therefore, please promiseme that you’ll not sit on this money when it gets intoyour account, also, please as I contacted you for thispurpose, let’s restrict the information fromthird-party to avoid exposing ourselves to wickedpeople.If you agree on this, I’ll give you 15% of the totalshare when transferred, then 5% will be given to youif you made any expense on the cause of the transfer.Waiting to hearing from you, please once I hear fromyou I'll send you my pictures, also the depositcertificate the bank gave to my late husband.you cancall me on ;0022505115928.Thanks,Mrs. Joy daku


I am perplexed that some people have the audacity to send unsolicited emails to every random people that they can lay their hands on! I mean I am curious as to how they got my email address, perhaps they bought it from one of the companies that have a database? But for whatever reason, I think their game plan is basically to just cast their bait and just hope that gullible and greedy person would take the offer of this "indecent proposal"!

It's really amazing to hear that some people actually falls for scams like this, just like a newspaper report a few months ago regarding a University Professor that has actually fall for scams in the same vein. There was also a report about a lawyer that was also taken for a ride by scams like this. I reckon educated people are not neccesarily "smart" when it comes to suppressing their primal urge of "greediness". This is what that's enticing to them! I reckon I am lucky in the sense that I have more sense than this and I will never fall for it. I wonder how many times around that this email has made it's rounds in other people's email?

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home