doc's dog day

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Of Banks and high blood pressure

Today the 20th of August is considered pretty bad for me, business is slow, possibly due to the wet weather, and the amount which i had collected is not even enough to fill up my thirsty ride. It's as bad as that, but I reckon this is not what that riles me up, but a banking incident that did it outmost best to push me over the edge.

You see, I have an account with a foreign bank and i usually bank in my takings for the day, cash or cheques that I have received into this bank account. Something went wrong which makes me fume and push my blood pressure to the roof. Allow me to reiterate and elaborate what has transpired just barely half and hour ago.

In this time and age, everything is about automation. It's some automated that everyone including yours truly is reliant on "it". So naturally I banked in my cheques via the numerously tailored machines known as "Automated Teller Machines". I slotted in my ATM card and gingerly waited, up came the flashes registering the words "Your Transaction is Being Processed, Please Wait". Damn I was interacting with a hardware. As the seconds ticks on and minutes replaces it, my gaity and smile quicky turns to frowns. it became increasing clear that this crap monstrosity has obviously "Hanged". My predicament exactly one month back has reared it's ulgy head once again.

A month ago, the same exact thing happenned to me and now, a few weeks on, it has struck again. Unable to contain my disgust, I asked the security guard if he can turn the machine off. Well frankly I already knew that he can't but in that state of mind, I don't mind asking again, just for the sake of "asking"!.

I called the call centre and was made to wait for a few minutes before this customer service representative or 'telephonist' answered. I can swear by God's name that she merely whispered and that's it! I was like wtf! could you speak louder? With the ambient and background noises, it is impossibily to hear that she is talking. I reckon people like this doesn't have a clue as to how noisy Banks are.

I immediately introduce myself and told her about my predicament. Prior to taking my complaint, she started by asking me some prelimary questions and wanted my telebanking "PIN" number. I don't have one and she starts asking my account number. I was lucky in the sense that I had the cheques which I wanted to bank in with me and behind I had written the account number. I gave it to her, after asking me many more questions, my IC number(s), postcode she then proceeded to ask me about the figure which I last transacted using this account. I was like "huh"?, as if people memorize how much money they draw and withdraw from a bank account! It would be reasonable to assume that many people have more than one bankers and I am no exception. I seriously cannot remember, since it was a few days ago. Anyway I told her I couldn't remember and asked her to ask me another question. Finally after ding donging and dilly dallying I authenticated myself as the real account holder and proceeded to tell her the my problem. Mind you this is already more than half an hour from the whole episode of slotting in the card.

My God, she doesn't understand what I was trying to tell her. Perhaps my powers of explanation is deficient, perhaps my communicative skills is impaired or perhaps she doesn't process a good enough cognitive skills but whatever it is, it is beyond my comprehension. The issue is simple enough, "MY CARD IS JAMMED IN THE MACHINE!!!" . All this compounded my already boiling anger and rapidly ascending blood pressure. Being attended by a friendly person in times of irritation is one thing, but being attended by a less than expected level of intelligent person is way too much for someone like me to tolerate.

I raised my voice and I told her whichever it is, my card is stuck and I don't want to be waiting in this stupid place hoping that the card, by some divine intervention, be ejected. Mind you if the ATM card has been totally "eaten" or detained by the machine, it's fine, but the thing about the paraphase of "Your Transaction is Being Processed, Please Wait" would automatically mean that there is still a chance, however remote that it might be processed and the card ejected out. Would anyone want to take the risk? I proceeded to ask her to cancel the card. She had the balls to tell me that It would be chargeable to issue a new card. I protested to her that it wasn't due to any fault of mine, but she insists that it's the banks policy. WTF. I told her to cancel the card as I don't want to be bogged with the possibility of the card being in another person's hands. I have quite some dough in this account and I wasn't prepared to play "Big Balls" with this.

Come tomorrow, I'd have to take time off again from work to visit this fucking branch to sort out this problem again in the span of one month. ONE MONTH!! I reckon my blood pressure will be registering red levels tomorrow yet again. I need a break, barely one month from my trip to Bangkok and here I am feeling the effects of stress. I wonder how long can I take all this shit anymore? Aarrgghhh!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home