doc's dog day

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Inappropriate people

I have been practicing in this 'new village' for close to 5 years and I have a compendium of brushes with inappropriate people which can fill a book. Today is no exception, with my latest experience with a 60 year old man.

I reckon respect is given when it is earned. Such is what I am brought up with. It doesn't automatically comes with a person's standing, nor age. Although I am brought up with the old Chinese tradition of 24 types of filial piety, none the less I am still very worked up and irritated by this odd character.

You see, I was in the dark room, developing the xray that I had taken prior, well my practice is an independent setup and I do everything myself, from taking xray to developing it. Yup, a doctor's life is hard, and at times of economic uncertainties like this, it's even tougher., but this is not the story that I am divulging today,.... back to the old man, as I was coming out the dark room, i was shocked to see an old man, capping two mineral bottles and the whole floor virtually flooded. As it is the water tap is located next to the entrance of the dark room, So imagine my chagrin when saw the place filled with water. I pointed towards the tap and informed him that the tap wasn't turned off properly, my exact words, translated from Cantonese "Uncle, the tap is not turned off properly"

Imagine my amazement when he shot back at me and said that I was "arrogant". I was like 'what?', I told him I was just telling him that the tap wasn't turned off completely and the water was still trickling out. Is that wrong? By the way, the area is supposed to be off limits, since it's in the vicinity of a radiation area. A clinic is not a public place, many people are unable to grasps this idea. It's a private place and as any private place, certain areas are off limits.

So is it morally and idealistically wrong for me to tell him that the tap is not turned off properly, denying the obvious fact that the very basis of him being in a 'private' place without express permission is overlooked? Haven't I accorded the proper terminologies in referring him as "Uncle?".


What did I do to deserve this 'arrogant' perception? Is my reaction extraneous? I think not, I was shocked no doubt, but definitely I wasn't rude, nor my intonation out of line. The fact remains that he is not even my patient, but some old fellow that just walked in, without permission (again if I may add) into my private place. Heck I should have bombarded that fellow, but decency got the better of me. I am pissed, no doubt.

The fact remains that if someone who was walking outside wants to go into your house, to use the toilet, isn't it appropriate to deny that person? Or it isn't my right, not to loan the person the toilet or to prevent him from entering any prohibited place? Well all in all, I'd to say that's the so called civilized people of new villages, the state of mentality of our so called cultured and older generation. I reckon the the aptly coined term, "Jinjang people" really does have it's merits. It goes to proof one thing, that is decency, calm and courteousness doesn't come with age, it's ingrained right from young. Old people do behave badly, and young people doesn't necessarily be uncouth and rude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home